Fully satisfying the stomachs of the Naniwa (old name for this area) locals and wholesale & retail functionalities, the market has a tradition and history since late Edo period (1603〜1868). The market stretches south from Sennichimae about 580 meters, housing about 180 shops selling fresh fish, fruit & vegetables, beverages, clothing, and more. Number of visitors sum up to more or less 18,000 on weekdays and 150,000 in the year end.
The start of Kuromon Ichiba market goes back to around 1822〜1823 when merchants gathered at the black temple gate near Enmyoji Temple in Nipponbashi, selling fish from Sakai and Kishu. It was called "Enmyoji Temple Ichiba Market" until it was burnt down along with the temple in 1912 in the Namba Fire. During the air raid on Osaka it was burnt down again, but was rebuilt after the war and is in operation up to today. Many chefs at Japanese restaurants buy wholesale, hence, many stores offer globefish and soft-shell turtles. The market bustles with shoppers at the year-end.